Thursday, June 03, 2010

HuRaCaN FuRy: ELecTra to TuCkEr HiLL

I awoke to the sound of a Rooster as he expressed his paranoia about the sun rising. Rubbed my eyes, my clothes that was wet and sweaty were dry. I packed up quick, refilled on water and got going fast towards Breakfast and Duncan Donuts and then Santos to clean up and rest a little more.I really had no idea how far Santos was from here, but I was staying relaxed and not focused on the distance. I cross some rollers, crossed the last NFR of the ONF which was limestone, and then over the Oklawhaha river towards Marshall Swamp. Marshall swamp singletrack was a blast and very pretty and before I knew it I was on the paved trail heading towards the Baseline Road Main trail head, and then on the road, heading towards Duncan. Lot's of people on the trail, 20 miles into my morning, everyone friendly and saying hi, I was polite as well.Got into Duncan donuts, had a seat, laid out some more stuff to dry on the bike and ordered,2 flat bread sandwiches, a large Iced Latte and 3 chocolate chocolate donuts. Ate all that, and I was still Hungry, amazing. I got on the bike and before long I was at greenway cycles conversing and eyeballing some socks. DanO checked my breaks that quit working sometime near Buck Lake, and said my pads were gone and he had no replacements. DANDY I thought, he told me they were grilling later, and I told him I would come back.I went across, used the bathroom, took a shower, cleaned my clothes, brushed my teeth laid out my gear and took a nice long nap. The day was hot in the shade, but I was so tired that finding sleep was not a difficult task. I woke up, got dressed and packed up and rolled over to Greenway for food and conversation and bought some spider socks. RAD.After lots of talking and lots of question answering, "why did you ride a single speed all the way here?", "it only took me five hours when I did it". OF course I didn't explain it was a fixie nor that I was doing and Individual Time Trial, I let them think what they wanted, but I did explain the route and they all thought it was pretty cool.I made a video update and rolled out, with my heart set on Tucker hill or further, 77 miles away.
During the Santos Epic I noticed that It was hard work if it wasn't flat or downhill and that's when I put it all together, I had totally overgeared the bike, dammit, what an IDIOT. Nayl's was tough as I was having to use my leg muscles to not only power the bike but slow down the bike. Then when I crossed 484 I could see and hear a gigantic rain cloud conjuring up menace in the sky. I really didn't want to be in a downpour again only cause it takes HOURS to dry out. I pedaled on, it was now a time trial vs the thunderstorm. I made the end of the new Yellow single track hit 200 going full tilt, I knew there was a pavilion between 200 and pruitt I could hide out at, I rolled on and it took what seemed forever, the singletrack the added muscle use had really kicked my ass. As I made the shelter took a small break, the rain had not come so I pressed on. I made Haltapa and the storm was really starting to kick up, the drizzle started coming, but the hard stuff had not come and it really felt like a race at this point. As I made the turn on to the Haltapa hell track I immediately noticed it was overgrown and did not look nearly as nice as it did during the DAN0 100, on top of that it was mushy at some spots, but I kept on. As I rolled on and made the fence I hammered it to stumpknockers avoiding the major thunderstorm and sitting down shivering to enjoy my dinner.

It was so cold, but I ate, I drank, and I ate, and when it was all done, I was still hungry. I sat there till about 9pm and then packed up and rolled out, restocked at the store and made my way towards the withlacoochee.

As I got to the major Lock cross to get over to Potts, it was flooded, its usually bone dry and you can walk across, not today. I called Rob Roberts who is a race director requesting a re route, and he gave it to me. So I rode 2 miles to that point, rode 2 miles back, then rode 2 miles back to the same point, 4 extra miles, AWESOME!!!

Potts was beautiful, and after exiting Potts, I got on the road and kept the pace high, stopped at another store, updated the world and continued to the Withlacoochee. As I got to the Coochee I used the bathroom, re lubed and then searched for coffee having to buy a Starbucks double shot which worked out OK. I rested for a minute, ate a full bag of chips, drank a soda, then rolled out.

For the first time during the trip I pulled out the headphones and listened to Pandora, rode the withlacoochee in the dark listening to Lil Wayne Radio the whole way.

Got to Nobleton fastest I have ever done that section and then took a break to psyche myself up for 7 miles of singletrack. After a small effort I found the entrance, and went in, as I got in I heard the strangest sound. Sounded like a very loud growl and grumble, not knowing what it was I didn't shine a light towards ITS direction and kept going on my path. I did the work, was so happy when I made Tucker Hill, and immediately unpacked and took a shower in the moonlight. It was liberating to clean myself and just wash away. The cold water on my raw perineum and glutteus felt fantastic, I was in bad shape down there, but there was nothing I could do. It was 530am and it was time to get some sleep. I started doing the math, I had 80 miles to go and I had to be done by 5pm and on the road to pick up my sons. In my shape and my condition, 80 miles including the singletrack would take 10 hours, and I needed sleep, things were not looking promising for me to finish. I dismissed my concerns and decided I would think more about this in the morning. After a full 23 hour day of travel, my body was craving sleep more then anything.

Last Part coming soon...

Take care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: