Wednesday, October 14, 2009

AnD oN ThIs daY I ShrEd!!! The definitive CFiTT write up Part 2

Apparently, Bryans GPS unit was malfunctioning. Thus the reason he did not pass. But, he thought he got it back on line, asked me some directions and took off.

Me, I wanted to stretch myself out and take a nap. So I laid down and took a nap, didnt sleep much, but eventually got up and started shifting my pack loads around.

Someone got a call that Bryan was lost, I told him to wait for me that he could follow.

I finished packing up, strapped on the lights, only to find out they were not functioning. I am not sure what the issue was, but luckily that morning I had bought new batteries for my Princeton Tec EOS light. I put in new batteries, strapped my helment to my Osprey pack and hauled ass. It was gonna be 25 miles of single track with one Lumen. I was up for the challenge and had no choice as there was no quit in my heart for this adventure.

It actually wasnt too bad, I could see well enough for my pace, I was feeling good had managed to forage up a beer as I got prepared before I rolled out. Eventually at the first road crossing I got Bryan, and we kept working.

This is when exhaustion started catching up to me. Not coasting for 110 miles of off road riding had really burned some serious calories. And Although I had consumed about 900 calories at my Santos Pit Stop, I already felt hungry and already felt the signs of Fat Loss deficiency as my handling and mental clarity had lost some sharpness.

A trail that I normally adore (nay'ls trails) had turned into a technical clinic of pure mastery. Fixed gear + 1 Lumen + calorie/fat loss deficiency, turned into more mistakes then I usually make.

I was getting frustrated, my plan to put on some dry clothes was somehow foiled by the torrential downpour and putting on wet drawers had chapped my bum, every little bump in the trail equaled to a feeling of a thousand needles penetrating my butt cheeks.

I was downright angry at one point and was focused on getting out of the "epic trail". We hit the Hole in the fence and I was elated. At this point I started counting down the climbs. We had the limestone road between there and SR200 to contend with, but I stood up on it and worked it and did some incredibly fast hamster spin my legs off downhills just praying there was not a surprise log in the middle of the trail as I was clearly traveling way faster then my light was projecting.

We emerged on SR 200 and I was just hammering up the road off course to find a convenience store we found one and took a much needed break. Cokes, Gatorades, dorito's and snickers... Needle pain chapping both front and back was torturous at this point, but we did the math and we still had about 50 miles left.

The adventure was far from over at this point.......

Check back for more...

Laters,


The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: