Friday, October 16, 2009

AnD oN ThIs daY I ShrEd!!! The definitive CFiTT write up Part 4

This ride sure had lots of MOJO behind it. The grips were given to me by Brett. The seat post by Rob Roberts, the Tommicog I used by the Warriors Princess. Gave the bike a Lil extra Magical power....

I talked plenty of smack about how well I was gonna do, and I delivered. I think its no coincidence that the one ride I was able to be 100% healthy for, I do pretty well in. Sure it was a victory in whereas Brett didn't finish, but I was not far from second place the entire ride. Granted, my break at Silver Glenn may have been a little too long, but I dare you to pedal 44 miles without coasting and not need a little bit of therapy and rest.

I rode a good effort and my prep paid off, the results are the proof and rewards for my efforts. Brett is super strong, and as my cycling continues to improve, maybe in a year or so I can be as strong as he is and only need a tiny baby break after the first 44. Next year when I line up I have every intention of beating the course record and I have every intention of riding my geared bike, whatever geared bike I happen to be on at the moment, most likely the Black Beauty. Hopefully more people will make their way to the event and will seek the rewards that self supported touring provides.

Both Bryan and I agreed, that Cyclist in Florida, tend to like to pay an entry fee and ride in safe courses under highly controlled environments. Lot's of them like to pay to ride in circles. That is not a diss by any means it is the current state of affairs with the majority of our athletes that race. I myself enjoy these types of events on occassion. But, Maybe after reading our accounts they will be motivated to test the limits of their boundaries. Maybe... But, it takes all kinds of riders to make up a cycling community and we need athletes that enjoy that kind of racing.

For nutrition, I used Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches on wheat with Salt. Had some double Chocolate Milano cookies, and some trail mix. That ended up being all the food I carried. I took 3 endurolytes an hour, then I kind of slacked off. I also took one Basic Assurance supplement every 4 hours.

For gear I wore my team kit jerseys for tops, and my specialized baggies for shorts with no chamois. I wore Lycra boxers under those. I did not use a chamois for this ride. I think if my gear had not gotten wet in that strong cell of a storm I got caught In I may have avoided the saddle sores all together. You live and learn.

The bike had my XTR stans with tubeless and Specialized captain 29er tires on the front and back. I also put the Elixir as the front brake to weight weenie the bike out as much as possible. I re lubed the chain at Silver Glenn and never had to lube it again. All the pro stock bits were borrowed off my geared bike and will be returned as of today.

I rode a 32 x 17 gear ratio fixed gear and it worked to keep me steady. I don't think it really hampered me too much as you can tell by the numbers, I rode a good steady effort.

I had my mini newt light and my stella light both of which malfunctioned for some unknown reason. Since my stella is now working, my mini newt will be sent to nite rider for warranty repair. My princeton tec EOS light saved the day. The buckle on my rear seat pack malfunctioned and I had to zip tie it to keep it shut but those were the only mechanical problems.

Bike was set up rigid with no suspension.

I feel good about my day's effort and look forward to putting the final touches on the even longer ride and doing that sometime in March??? We will see.

I want to thank first and foremost the Warriors Princess for all her advice and support, she is the one who got me physically to the form I am today.
Bikeworks for all their mechanical support that they always provide as my lead sponsor. Specialized for making the best, shorts, glasses, seats, tires and gloves BAR NONE.
SRAM for providing some of the best brakes I have ever had the pleasure of using.
Epic Ride Research for making the Best most innovative portable feeding device in the Mountain bike feedbags. Not only good for food, but good for almost everything on the fly, I simply cant give them enough credit and I appreciate their continued support as one of my new sponsors in 2009.

Finally, thanks to all who participated, thanks to all who gave me congratulations your kind words and acknowledgement is truly appreciated. It is and was a truly incredible Feat that will probably stand the test of time. 177 miles is no walk in the park.

Thanks again,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

1 comment:

The Evil MGE! said...

Bad Ass Indian!