Thursday, April 23, 2009

KniCk KnAcK PaDDiWaCk Let's GeT iT oN PaRt 2


Membership has its privelages. The wind has told me that PMBAR will be Wet and Muddy. So I am getting prepared. I have a "rain" jacket, but on my Horrible Bike Packing it got rated on "fail" level and I hold grudges towards products when they "fail" me.

So, Google, being the amazing tool it is, I typed "best cold/rain cycling jacket and it gave me a very good result". Read lots of reviews on the item, found one on Sale and I will be making the purchase today. I will not divulge the information on the Jacket since at this time all my detractors are monitoring my every move.

So Right now the ONLY bike I have up and running is the Fixed Black. Now, I love my fixie, I love it, but I don't quite have the courage to race it in the Forest of Pisgah. I wanted to Flip my Flip flop hub, but since I couldn't find an adapter to make my fixie side into a disc brake side and I have no V brake mounts on my Black, I am forced to do one of two things.

1. Hope I can get a magic gear combo working, but last night upon doing a search I found that I do not have a 21 cog, and I think if I want to do the Magic Gear Combo, It will work with a 21 but not a 20(all speculation).

2. Set up the Black with a 1 x 9.

So after much ado, I decided the path of least resistance would be to set it up 1 x 9. DONE!

I only have a rigid fork, currently do not own a Squishy fork. Avid had a package coming for me for a set of Elixirs and a new 2009 29er fork. WELL, I got the brakes, but I don't want to put them on the Black I want to save them for my new yet to arrive or receive or have as a possible prospect bike. The Fork was on Back order, but last nights updates are communicating that my fork is arriving today and I will be able to have it for PMBAR. So instead of a rigid single speed, I will be on a 9 speed, full on Squish Black Beauty ready to destroy climbs and pummel the downhills, I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!

Now, I just need to reconfigure the bike on Monday, AND then spend the next couple of days preparing and map reading and mentally acclimating myself to the task at hand.

This weekend though, The Bird and I are GOING to go bikepacking for the first time. We got an estimated 130 mile 2.5 day bike pack tour, with By the river stay free camping options on both days. I actually packed up my bike last Thursday and we were going to do it last weekend but Birdy got sick, so we called it off. I left my bike packed and hanging on the rack, so pretty much all I got to do is top off the light batteries and the rechargeable batteries and I am ready to roll. I'm pretty excited to escape with the Warrior Princess!

The countdown to Pisgah Has begun, and I am spending the entire coming days preparing and loading some miles and waking my muscles up to the effort that lays ahead. Like an MMA fighter preparing for a fight I am watching my calorie consumption with the goal to have myself perfectly tuned and ready to kick some major ass come a week from this Saturday.

BE afraid, be very afraid....

Shred,


Laters,


LOS

No comments: