Tuesday, April 28, 2009

SpRIng LoVe BiKePackin tOuR: LeSSonS LeaRned




It was a blast, truly. We did our fair share of suffering, truly. We did it single speed and I rode it Fixed(although I said I would never tour fixed again), truly.

This bikepacking thing is a tough nut to crack and I am still learning alot. I definitely did not eat enough calories o n either day and that food in paisley tasted good going down but it hurt me all day after.

My Etrex GPS did the work it was meant to. At one point when the trail was not fun, we decided to take the double track. I feared that I was getting lost, so I stop and programmed the GPS to take me to Paisley. All it does is give me straight line as the crow flies route, so I followed it and tried to match up the roads and paths I found in front of me to the route. 30 downed tree logged crossing and 2 miles of hike a bike later we found our way out to Maggie Jones road. That was a good moment. There were times this past weekend that I was wondering if Paloma's tires where better in the sand then mines since she was just pulling away while I was sinking.

Once we biked and hiked our way along the Paisley St Francis wagon trail, we made it to Deland, hit the road and had to battle a head wind for 5 miles back to town. I was hurting and suffering so bad, this bikepacking thing is a tough nut to crack. If it was up to me, I would of grabbed some water and pulled out the hammock and would of laid up till my indidgestion went away. It truly is daunting when I start to think about the GDR and what I plan to do to myself for 20 some odd days. Only more the reason to get out there and do a long trip 5 plus day journey soon. I have to really discover if I have the strength and power to last that long alone.

My bike weight was actually the best I have ever packed it and I even carried a couple of items that alone I would not have carried. Regardless, with the exception of needing to learn a little more about mechanics, i.e. truing a wheel and installing pads on hydraulic brakes, I am very close to achieving the proper pack weight and set up.

I am already planning our next trip, a little loop in the National Forest, Silver Glenn, fun and camping, sometime in June and By the way, W.P. Loves her 29er.

Laters,

LOS

2 comments:

paintboy said...

Hey karlos
Sounds like you had A great trip besides all the setbacks it`s all in the learning curve i guess I know from experience that can`t change your eating habits in mid flight you must get more protein's when your putting out so much horsepower over the long haul.PS my 29er does very well in the sand just seems to float better

Karlos said...

29ers are the best and I have not rode nor ridden anything less than a 700 c wheel since the end of 06. When you gonna venture out on your bikepacking trip?