Monday, April 13, 2009

UpDatEs FrOm ThE UnKnoWn: The FuLL MoNty

About a year and half a go I cooked up this ride.

Couldn't get anyone to do it with me....

Now that I have explored more, when I asked again, I had some takers.

Looking back the ride is a blur. It was a magnificent effort. We made good distance with the daylight and got about 15 miles in before the sky darkened. At that point, we took a moment to appreciate the night sky and the lack of light pollution. At that point, my fellow Samurai were starting to hurt me with their pace. I requested to take the front, before the night was done we all took turns at the front and we all took turns being hurt.

It was tunnel like to ride all night and the time and the miles seemed to fly by. We made quick pace and covered the alot of ground. Our first water refuel spot was for not as the pump was broken. We had been conservative with our water at that point and still had plenty to make the next spot and refuel. It was at that point that I took the pic of the moth, ate a big packett of fish and took a stretch.

Everyone started sliding on the arm warmers, I was left wishing for some newspaper. We got rolling and the most bizarre thing happened. The Valve on my slime tube broke, so the tube didn't flat, but the valve pushed up against the hole in the rim caused it to eventually detach from the rubber and you could see the slime trying to seal the hole. I made a modest flat repair in my exhausted state. The miles from that point on were the hardest for me. Having rode that section before I knew their would be some long climbs only because the opposite direction had some excellent downhills. As I mashed my one fixed gear up the hills repeatedly, I took a moment to remind myself that I indeed am a very capable climber and focused on my rhythm versus my tiredness. Our refuge and motivation was a nice fire at a good spot. When we got to the spot it was overrun by campers, so the fire was canceled.

We retreated to the bathroom area and laid on the concrete stretching out. I was scanning the faces of my crew and we were all weary from the long night of traveling and hard riding. At this point we had about 15 miles left. I had set my alarm on my phone with the intention of taking a 30 minute nap. Just as I started getting some comfort, Brett spoke up, "if I stay her any longer I will fall asleep."

He was right, we all would have.

I got up, turned the music on my phone on and we all saddled up to do it all again. I stretched myself good, took the sleeves of my vest and suited up to get a lil more warmth. The night had been so humid that I was soaked to the bone and really needed a little core coverage. We continued on, I assured them I knew exactly where I was going having ridden that section only a couple of weeks ago on my Cyclocross. As I rode this section once again and got the pleasure of some spectacularly long climbs I marveled at the fact of my previous cyclocross feat. It was an interesting moment of self reflection. As we made our way into the final section, I could see everything around us growing brighter. I took notice and commented that the sun was rising.

Not too long after we came across a hunter. My Light and Motion Stella light had been burning faithfully all night. At this point, since the day light had finally come, and we had just come across men toting guns, I decided to run my light in flash mode, just to give us that added edge.

Those last ten miles were rough and I was ticking them off since I knew the mileage. The climbs were long, but the scenery was beautiful and I was feeling strong. I was not moving super fast but my fixie pace was strong and steady. I kept looking back, I could see Rob, but Brett was not there. I kept pedaling wondering if I would make it to the parking lot before Brett, when here he comes like a bat out of hell flying by me, not to be seen again till 2 miles later when we made the finish.

That morning I ate the biggest breakfast I have ever had. I needed some serious calorie load. The Mountain Bike Feedbag that I got from Epic Ride Research worked Marvelously, I have to get another one for the bird now, the thing did exactly what I wanted it to do. The Light and Motion Stella burns an advertised 12 hours on the medium setting and it did do just that. In fact I was the only person in the party of three that did not have to swap batteries or lights all night and it was still on in the morning.

I finally made my dream come true and saw some of the most spectacular natural beauty that our little state has to offer. As well some good places and opportunities for more future trips and tours. I think I may have just found my New Easter Tradition, anyone care to join me for a Renegade run next year?

Laters,

LOS

2 comments:

Jimbo said...

I enjoy reading your adventures. I've been dragging some friends on some gnarly rides on the dirt roads around Tallahassee. We hit sand, potholes etc. I used to live in Gainesville and did a ride from Rodman to Paisley using a route that we shouldn't have. That might have been the first N-S Ocala Forest traverse on dirt. Went the reverse direction from Rodman to Keystone using the same route. Another one I've done is across the Osceola NF. None of these were multi-day adventures, but I've got one in the offing that's never been done before, TBA.

Karlos said...

Good Stuff. Interesting, keep me posted, maybe I can join you on this multi day thing you got cooking. The route I took was magnificent. Maybe or maybe not the same one you took. Thanks for sharing, and ya, if you plan on doing a multi day thing Im all about it. BTW, your in Tally right, do you know Rick AShton, if you do I am trying to get a hold of him.