Monday, April 20, 2009

KoaCh KarLoS: TrAiNiNg DiReCtoR

Late to Mid January I got an email about an opportunity to help out a club that was being started up with a focus on Family Mountain Biking and involvement.

Admittedly, this has been my M.O. for years, since I have been Mountain biking only 5 years less than I have been a dad. When I started MTBing and doing the Highly competitive XC races in the Area I eventually got my son involved in the Fun. Both of them were eventually State Champions and both to this day are very capable riders.

So, when the offer came for me to help out in the MTB community, help out local families and riders, I was all over it. To me it was a win win situation. I get to do something I like and at the same time, help Kids, Families and Riders get an even better experience out of their Riding.

So Koach Karlos' is officially on the road and working as the Training Director for BAADR MTB CLUB I will be hosting my first class on May 23rd 9am at Alafia River State park. I read a lot of stuff on the web and on one particular Forum I frequent I was astounded by the amount of crashing and injuries that riders are experiencing. In the interest of need and to share what skills I have acquired over my ten years of riding, I decided that my first class would be to focus on "avoiding the crash".

This will be a comprehensive class, that will first discuss what factors contribute to crashes and then discuss; slow speed handling skills, technical riding techniques, visualization as a tool, predicting possible terrain and/or weather related adversities, how to fall, how to bail, and how to ride various different trail features. All techniques that I have used over the years to keep me safe, free and clear of injury. I always crack up when I hear an MTBeer telling a fellow rider, that if your not crashing your not improving and I just dont invest any energy into that philosophy and I dont think you should either.

Come out and Join me for my first class, all riders are welcome and feel free to click here and follow the links to Training Classes to read more. I guarantee, at the very least, not only will you learn something, but you will have a good time as well!

Hope to see you out there,

Laters,

LOS

4 comments:

Luis G. said...

"All techniques that I have used over the years to keep me safe, free and clear of injury."

You really are tempting fate with that statement...

Karlos said...

LMAO....Luis, what would my universe be like with your razzings...You seen me crash, Im roll clean even on a fully loaded freight train... O ya, KNOCK ON WOOOD!!! LOL

brucexc said...

Thats cool I'll come out. may have something to offer the other families. I'd consider my self a pro with riding with your family, check my daughters blog www.mtbracergirl.blogspot.com. We've been togther since they were both 2.

Karlos said...

i check that blog on the regular, i love it. depending on how the cookie crumbles we plan on making some races for the sake of fun! see ya there!!!o