Wednesday, July 08, 2009

LeSSOnS FrOm ThE EdGE

"Ya... Don't push me cause I'm Close to the Edge, I'm trying not to lose my head...."

I had a List Monday morning comparable to a NASA launch check list that needed to get done and it took a whopping amount of time to do it. Finally I was ready, but Frankly I was upset by how the skies looked and dreaded the thought of rolling out there and getting drenched and having to hope my gear would keep the water out.

I got one small rain storm and I managed to roll into the super market and wait 5 min and it was gone, didn't even get wet, but the threat was looming and it was something I was considering carefully. I didn't want to get caught in a storm in the middle of the forest if I didn't have too.

I got to Seminole Forest and I was already thinking about food. I just am pretty sure that I don't eat enough. I just don't, I guess I'm an idiot. I thought, all I had today was breakfast? How many calories do I need, how many hours will I be out here, I didn't even think. I was NOW while in the middle of the first forest section starting to contemplate it. Ok. I had bought a bag of Almond Clusters I usually love them but they tasted Blah this time to me.

So as I am rolling Threw the Seminole forest I notice that everything is a mess. I'm riding threw standing puddles that if I was on a 26er would have been hub deep, the ground is mushy and loamy and soft, and its over grown and there are more downed trees then the last time I came threw here in spring, all momentum robbers for sure.

I pop out of the Forest, drink, and start mentally preparing myself for the Maggie Jones section. The first time I rode it, it was an ass kicker, I was on my cross and it was traction issues and wash boarded, a real battle. The second time I rode it I was with the Bird and we had tried to follow single track over to that spot, with no success, ended up lost, then ended up on Maggie Jones where the Bird started Schooling me. This time though I did it pretty quick and made Paisley MTB trail head before dark.

Refueled, strapped on the lights, took a deep breath and started my 17 mile or so single track ride to Big Buck. This section of the woods that I call the Alexander Springs section, has kicked me in the ass more then I have kicked in the ass, so I took a page from other riders books and took it easy. I had to anyways, the trail was a mess, over grown, loamy, wet, standing water, trees down, you name it.

I was watching my GPS counting down the alleged miles to be out that thing. I had already started contemplating taking an alternate route for this day and then just cutting across the forest on NFR595 over to Santos the Next day cause of how conditions were. It was slow going and not very fun.

I hit a boardwalk, and instantly crash. It was slick as ice, while I laid there in PAIN, I slowly regained my footing and picked up the bike gave everything a once over and started walking. Even walking was dangerous, at times I would stop my forward motion but the slickness kept me moving forward a couple of inches. I finally get off of there, my hip and my shin are in pain, but I keep moving, eventually I can feel that I am in FULL BONK MODE. As I got onto the road, I felt really nauseous and started dry heaving??WTF??? I think, OK, what time is it, 11pm, nope that store wont be open. Ok, Imma hit Alexander springs and see what I can do there. OF course, the gate was locked, but I zig zagged past it went inside found a bathroom and started cooking.

The Mosquitos were on me as soon as I got there, and my bug spray was like seasoning for them, they did not care. No Natural Bug spray was going to keep them off, maybe some deet would of did the trick. I got my food going quick. Started eating, and then about 5 spoon fulls in, I threw it all back up. Fantastic, its the Big O all over again. After throwing up for a good 5 minutes, I decided I'm going to hijack a campsite, take a shower and sleep till 5am and then pedal home, I'm over this crap, I am not having ANY fun and all this ride was doing was rehashing memories of how terribly lonely I have been lately.

I shower, I put up my hammock, I lay in there. The mosquitoes are just outside my hammock making such a racket that I cant sleep. I'm exhausted, but I cant sleep, I'm pretty sure this is not a good thing at all. My stomach is empty, and I cant sleep, don't people die in these conditions?? Anyhow, I somehow fall asleep for an hour, I know it was an hour cause I kept checking the clock. Finally I decide, well let me see if I can find a vending machine, maybe a snack and a coke.(I know its not primal but I am in survival mode here)

I roll out, it felt kinda good to be moving and not hearing the annoying sound of skeeters. I rolled all over that place and found nothing, came back to camp and decided that my situation was desperate and I needed to start chipping away at the 50 to 60 road miles I was gonna have to do to get home.

50 to 60 miles is not really a big deal, BUT it is a big deal when your stomach is empty and you have not slept, at least at the moment it was to me. I figured if I do get tired maybe it will be daylight and the mosquito's will be gone and I can put up my hammock and sleep for a little and just keep going till I get home.

I take off, I have no Idea how far it is to Astor Park but I know its gonna be there. I keep riding and eventually I reach Astor park, I'm hooting and hollering, singing my music at the top of the lungs, typical stuff someone does that's riding bike at 4 something in the morning.

I start seeing the flashing light that tells people to slow down, I am at the moment on SR40. I then see the beautiful green sign that signifies BP, and I roll into that sucker celebrating like I just found an Oasis in the middle of the desert. I park the bike, look for my lock and discover I left it back at Alexander springs. O well.... I go in, and make a list, I bought a Large Gatorade, a bag of cool ranch Doritos's(been over a year since I had these) and a snickers bar.

I sat on the bench out front and ate them, slowly, savoring every morsel of all my food. This is when the guy came out and talked to me about the bike, and the cop showed up, and then eventually after refueling on ICE and WATER, I took off again. Barberville, 10 miles to go.

Along the way to Barberville, I saw another owl on a street sign, as he took off from the street sign, the name of the street on the sign was "BIRD". Then when I reached BArberville which felt great by the way, and that's when I saw the Ram. The Bird, is an Aries...Sigh....

Anyhow, I turn towards Deleon Springs 7 miles till I can grab some breakfast at the Mcdonalds. I start making my way up the final climb towards Mcdonalds, when I can feel my rear giving the unmistakable shift of a flat. I decide to just walk to the place. I walk there, get there, have a BACON EGG AND CHEESE BAGLE and a Medium Iced Coffee, cream only. I eat that up, sip my drink, while I fix the bike, get it going, start rolling a mile or two later its flat, I grab a spare tube it wont even pump up, I try and patch it, it had two huge gashes in it, I guess from rolling against tools. Mental note, check your tubes before epics or keep them separate from your tools in your emergency pouch. I take out the one that flatted and try to patch that, and after two hours of sitting there trying to make something happen, I give up, pack up and load myself onto the bus. Thank god for the bus.

It was a pleasant enough air condition ride on the bus home. I really wanted to make it and I estimate I had about 17 miles to go.

Got home, put the bike in the garage, and just laid in bed and slept. I was an emotional mess by the time I got home.

Its like I have noticed, that locally, around here, I have no friends. I have no one to hang out with, I have friends all the way on the other side of the state and all over the place, but no one here locally. Things would be alot easier I figure if I had someone to help me be distracted, when Paloma moved out, my best friend moved out.

Laters,

ThE NaKeD InDiAn

1 comment:

RickySilk said...

I had a tube come out of my bag with a hole rubbed in it too. I keep my tube in an old sock. thin ankle sock.... works great.