Monday, March 23, 2009

HoBo CroSS: ThE FinAL WoRd

Well, you know I have been looking at Failure related quotes for the past 24 hours.

Basically they all say the same thing, you can never find success without making an attempt.

My goals were clear, and although, EARLY in the game I climbed deep into a pain cave hole, I kept my professionalism and pushed through to at least my initial goal of Big Buck Camp.

Day 2 was going so nice, and then the unecessary time trial really put things in persepective for me. How important this gear that I am carrying is. I could not leave it behind, I could not just go into Cross Country mode and get it next lap or go ask lost and found after the race. I had to go back right then and get it. And the repeated flats. Wow. Thats a whole nother story. I guess I will chop it up to rookie mistakes. I want to blame the tires, but looking back I blame myself. I did race two 6 hours on those same tires, did numerous off road rides and training rides and commuting miles and I did get them back in 2006??? How long did I really expect them to last. I just didnt expect for the treads failure to be so catastrophic and dramatic. I seriously rolled into Marshall Swamp on my rims and two flat tires. Funny stuff.

Let's hit the Hightlight tape first, I will try to go in order so I can make sure to share all the things I really found to have worked for me well on this trip:
It was nice to be able to test the gear early on the Naked INdian trail and it was nice to be able to ride it out most of the way before I broke left after Lake Monroe park and started climbing the tall bridge out to Sanford.
It was the first Bikepacking trip that I did not pre purchase food and It was interesting to be out there making nutritional decisions on the fly. It is a skill I need to get good at.
It was nice to sit there and drink my coffee and relax, just enjoying the day.
Up to that point the ride had been spectacular and the 15 miles or so after were good as I traversed the Seminole forest I found a good change in the Ecological Fauna and I found some sweet singletrack. I popped out the other side, and after a couple of short calls, I hopped on the road for a bit. It wasnt long before I was back on dirt. Now is when the suffering began, but this is the Highlight reel.
I found it really interesting Once I made the Paisley MTB trailhead to meet an actual Hobo. I mean this dood has been living in the woods since January 5th, he smelled like he had not showered in weeks, but hey, I was on a hobo cross tour and I met an actual hobo.
It was in Paisley that I noticed my H2O deficit issue.
I was happy that once I emerged from Paisley even though I was tired and nauseous from eating nut bars all day long, I still pushed the 4 road miles to the country store. Very proud of myself for keeping it professional.
I was also happy that I remembered the ole roadie newspaper trick and grabbed several copies off the shelf. I bought3 cans of tuna and ate them on the spot, several bags of Jerky and several bags of peanuts. I also got baby wipes and tied it all to my rear pack and hauled ass. At that point I had decided to camp at Big Buck and once again was proud of my professionalism for pushing through anything I had endured in the past c ouple of hours and getting the job done.
Once there, even though I was pretty tired and physically damaged. I still got my stuff together, and took a shower, did laudry, did the fire set up my tent and enjoyed the stars. This is all part of Self Supported touring afterall and its not all Glamourous...
I bought a headband mount for my light and it worked great. When I ride Like this I like to wear my cap cause it keeps the sun off my face better than my helmet or any helmet visor combo can. I am in the works of maybe having a custom cap made that I can wear my helmet, cover my face and not die of heat exhaustion in the process.
When I was rolling my pace was well, modest and honest. Looking at the numbers tells me I was out for a total of 31 hours. I covered 115 miles, and only 10 hours and 10 minutes of that was spent rolling. So, not a bad average speed, considering I was riding Mostly off road the entire way and it was some interesting terrain. I marvel at the hidden jems that lay within our local forest right in our backyard.
I was also proud that I rode that entire distance and I didnt have to look at a map even once!
Finally, I am once again completely amazed by the Carousel Design Rear Pack Jeff made for me. Not only did I use it for its intended use, but I pretty much used it like a rear rack and it took it all, miles and miles of riding and never failed me.

THe Low lights:
I forgot my freaking sunglasses soon as I left the house. I had to buy new ones, no way I could ride the whole way without sunglasses.
Next time its in the 50's at night, I either bring my sleeping bag or think outside the box. In retrospect, when I laid down in Paisley and wrestled with my cramps for 30 minutes, I prolly should of just set up my camp and slept for a couple of hours. Then got up and rode well into the night into the dark. Reason I say that is, cause of the cold I could barely sleep. So I had a pretty restless night. That time could of been better spent ticking the miles away were I would not have been cold riding. Then in the morning when it was warmer I could of squeezed in some sleep under the shade of a tree or something. Now I know for next time.
I am obviously going to purchase some new tires, but I am also going to put some mechanical disc brakes on my cross bike. Its still my road bike and I still am going to need it even after my next build comes in when it comes in. Disc brakes will alow the wheel to get a wallop and me not to have to fiddle or play mechanic. AND it allows me to reroute the cable, as it is, the cantilever brake hanger was forcing my rear pack to sit sideways instead of the way it should have been sitting.
Before I left I remember looking at my Co2's thinking, If I get a flat I only need my pump. I was right, but that didnt account for numerous and repetitive flats. There were so many times I had a co2 cartridge to hit them tires up with air. My arm was dead every time I had to pump up my tires and I had to do it so many times. It was a grueling day.
I definetely tested my nutritional limits as I rode most of Saturday with only300 calories as my fuel. I made it, I was able to survive. But when I got to Santos I could tell my nutritional needs were way on the emaciated side as I could not even pinch an inch of fat on my body. Not a good place to be.
I wish I had my custom frame pack. I would have alot more room. If and when I get my frame pack done, I am going to do the top section seperate compartment then the bottom section. I figure I can use that top section to put a hydration bladder in there instead of carrying it in my pack. I am also looking for a bungee set, that kind of looks like a net, so that next trip I can hobo out my rear pack again. I am going to keep exploring the packless ride style. Although I had my pockets stuffed with stuff, It was still better than the extra weight of a pack. I think... Only way to find out is to keep testing the process. Dont get my wrong I got two back packs that I love, but most people would agree if you could avoid a backpack you would. I came across three hikers that weekend. All of them packed to the hilt. And I kept thinking, wow, I can camp just like them and I dont got to carry as much stuff.
Finally, bringing the cooker next time. There were so many times I needed deep good hot food nutrition and I could not get it. O and Fridays during Lent is not a good day to start a bikepacking trip. My body functions well of Protein. And on Fridays during Lent, I dont eat meat. Ya.. Ok... Im already looking at the Calendar and planning my Hobo Cross Rematch.

Thanks to all the kind messages, comments, text and words, you guys Rock.
Huge thanks to the Warrior Princess who is always there watching over me.

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS

5 comments:

EL SandPine said...

I like your new sunglasses. They look better then the Paris HIlton ones :-)

You will have your nutrition and packing plans down soon. Keep chipping on the rock!

paintboy said...

Nice read karlos. Keep up the good work. I still think a frame water bladder would do you well I don`t know if they make them or not..

Treadlight said...

How many people that can say "I attempted to cross the forrest packless", none.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and paving the way for future endurance or recreational riders who will attempt the whole length (thru rider) or sections of what you'd traverse.

Morisson

Unknown said...

I can't believe both tires failed at the same time. I've had my knobby tires since 2006. How often am I supposed to replace those?

"with only300 calories as my fuel". How many miles / hours did you ride on only 300 calories?!? I would have died.

It looks like you're learning more and more each adventure you take. It's not going to take long till you're ready for the GDR. Keep it up man, I have to pull from you for inspiration to keep going during my measly 50 milers.

Karlos said...

Ok Imma try to field the comments here.

Paris Hilton glasses are not gone.

Frame water pack don't know if it exist, but I plan my custom frame pack for the top compartment to be able to hold a hydration bladder.

TL, prolly none, and I appreciate the compliment, you made me feel like a real stud after that!

Tires, depends on the use, but I think I definitely expected too much out of them, I wont fail next trip, which is scheduled for some time in April, those interested in joining should contact me ASAP.
300 calories was not by choice, I really though the jerky would of had more but it did not. It was all day, till I reached Santos near 6pm, so from 10am to 6pm. I had two nut bars, but I was so sick of them I didn't want to get nauseous again.

Again I appreciate all the comments and feedback, it is valuable to me.