Wednesday, March 18, 2009

HoBo CroSS PhAsE TwO

I have adopted a slightly different strategy this time around. I packed an extra set of cycling gear cause I don't want to get cheek sores like I did the last time. What you see here is all the clothes I am taking on the ride. I plan one day to wash some clothes and dry it next to the fire so everyday I got fresh clothing.
Now I took all that clothes, which was 2 shorts, 2 shirts and 2 pairs of socks and packed it neatly into my Custom Carousel Design Rear pack.
Now because I cannot use my Custom Carousel Design front pack this time around I have to either carry my hammock on my back or carry it in the rear pack. I chose the rear pack, since the point of this trip is no back pack.
And here it all is in my rear pack. Go ahead and envy, you should.
Now here it all is. What you see is my blanket, which is all I will sleep with, and my waterproof stuff sack. Since I am sleeping in my hammock there is no room for my gear. So That bag unfolds into a gigantic stuff sack that I can put all my stuff in while I sleep and put it under my tarp or under my hammock to keep it dry.
Now here is the bike. Fully loaded, minus the bottles and the midpack being filled, but the packs are still on there. I rode it around and it handles great.
Total Hobo party going on. I had to use bungees to make sure and keep the stuff sack and blanket tight to the pack while riding so it wont rub the rear tire.
And finally a Samurai never travels without his sword. Its all ready to go, there is zero pedal interfarance. It is noticeably a heavier bike now, but I am touring not stunting and I think once I get her up to speed she will roll like a champ.

Day one will be Santos Or Bust or Maybe not, it is the Equinox that day so Maybe my spirit will request that I sit by the lake for the night or maybe my spirit will request the company of other humans, we will just have to wait and see what happens. Come 9am Friday I am on the road again, keep your eyes on the blog as I will BRING BACK THE VIDEO UPDATES~!~~

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS

6 comments:

EL SandPine said...

Yes to the video updates! Hey, shouldn't you put your blanket intop of the bag at the rear? Where it is now, it is going to get all that sand and dust from the trail. Hopefully no mud out there. Better yet. just get a 1galong plastic ziploc bag and stuff into that.

I am no experienced bikepacker so just thingking I guess.

Karlos said...

I appreciate all feedback. Ya thats why i putt my stuff sack on top of it. to protect it a little. I will just shake the thing off before I sleep with it AND ergonomically it seems to work better on the bottom then the top cause of the bags design.

Treadlight said...

I recommend to wrap a small bungee cord on those water bottles on the back. The cage only holds less than half the height of the bottle and when its full it "might" jump out the cage (the bottle is tilted too).

Treadlight said...

Why not change locations with the plastic bottle to the steel bottle cages? Easy and convenient access for a quick sip rather than unscrewing a steel bottle to drink.

Karlos said...

Thanks TL. Size. The big bottles get in the way of the frame pack. If I dont drink often and if I do I stop the steel bottles are to refill the plastic ones. If you read the original comment replies, I am going to use a small bungee on those bottles.

paintboy said...

Love the rocket launchers in the back lol . Its to bad they don't make A camelback for inside the frame you could load up at least gal and a half of h2o in that triangle.But any way take it slow and keep your eyes open. if you need anything I will be out at croom sat I could leave it there @ the camp host site..