Sunday, March 15, 2009

ImSoLucKy

To have the blessing of a bicycle.

Yesterday I got up, packed up the Cross bike that I had meticulously set up to go bike packing and exploring with and rolled out the door.

Rolled 2 hours later than I wanted to and boy its always hard to leave The Princess, but she had a place to go to and I figured waste not what not.

Took me 24 miles before I reached the spot where my adventure would begin. Didnt take long to find the spot where I had made the wrong turn before. And before I knew it I was navigating. Im riding and riding, and taking what I thought was the right direction. I come across forest vehicles and found a super nice spot by the river where someone was boating and barbecuing. And after a couple of more miles, I accessed the GPS to see where the closest spot was and bam, I was back wherre I started. Did a nice big circle. So attempt one was a fail, but I had a plan B.

I rode the forest road back to CR 42 and made my way towards Deerhaven Road. Got on Deerhaven road, found the spot I missed, where I should have come out of If my plan had worked, and continued to ride some of the sweetest clay hardpacked dirt road I have ridden all day. Eventually it turned to Sugar Sand and the Hike a bike fun began. All in all, combined with my first little attempt and then the traverse across lord knows where I hiked a good 3 miles that day. Its all good though, 3 miles of hiking is only one hour of walking, could be much worst. I eventually popped out on a good forest road, and once again, made the wrong choice and turned left only to pop out on CR 42 again. What I had wanted to do was pop out on Paisley road and then continue North to the End of the Alexander Springs MTB trail and then take that back to the lot and then jump on the road to Deland.

Well, I was done by that point, frustrated and out of time, so I continued up the road stopped a the store and refueled on water and rode back into Deland. By this time The Bird was done with her activity and we met up and rolled to Apopka. Spent the evening watching my very first comedy show and reading magazines a Borders. Not such a bad day, 50 plus something miles, and a little closer to solving the riddle.

At least now I found a good spot to enjoy the river, I rode some cool jeep roads back there and I am confident with the new info that I can navigate my way out of that place over to Deer haven road and make the dirt connection. The Question is, do I want to hike that stuff again? I was on my cross bike and the narrower tires make the sandy sandy alot harder than my 29er would, I would love to see that section when its not dry, still, I would rather be hiking on a Quiet forest road, then riding on the road being buzzed by cars every second.

Regardless, the dream is to get to Paisley via dirt road and Mission has been accomplished. Funny part is I didnt even have to leave my house, a little bit of common sense and Internet research provided me the answer and next weekend I will test it out.

The bike worked great and I really enjoyed the heck out of it. The saddle I got off the War Machine is much better than what I had previously on there, I was comfortable and the thing was flying on road and off road. Also a lil video I watched on the net on how to best set up cyclocross bars was a HUGE help. Im thinking hard about next trip on how to make myself even lighter. I may skip the cookware,(MAY), I may mount an extra watter bottle holder and plan my water refuelings accordingly. I did 50 miles in some good heat with only needing to refuel both bottles at mile 45. Three big bottles should do me well. This of course all hinges on how the bottles fit after I put the Jannd Frame pack on the bike. Cause if I cant fit the Frame bag and the bottles, then this is a moot point and its back to doing this ride with a pack.

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS

1 comment:

paintboy said...

If you knew exactly were you were going what fun would that be. Sounds like a great exploring trip.That's one good thing about living on a peninsula like Fla Like we say when we fly when you see big water turn left or right you'll find your way home eventually..
PS I under your dilemma in the morning some times you just have to bite the bullet my friend..