Monday, March 16, 2009

PaCKLeSS!!

It's almost mission impossible to do a bikepacking trip without a back pack.

But, I have been meticulously playing with set ups and planning to eliminate the back pack for this next trip.

I just liked how this past Saturday I felt riding with out a back pack and I want to play and experiment.

These times where I practice is the safest touring I can do cause I can always call the Bird and get bailed out, so I have Ideal opportunities to experiment.

I think I almost got it and I am sure if I had my Custom Frame Pack I could do it, no brainer.

I have to add to water bottle holders to my seat stays and that will give me four bottles on the bike, more than enough considering I will encounter water sources every 2o to 30 miles.

I also plan to stop more frequently to restock on food so as not to carry as much.

What I wanna hear some feedback on is cooking... Should I leave the cookware at home for this trip?

Its not heavy, but it is taking up space. I am doing about 300 miles over 2.5 days so I may not even have too much time to sit and warm up some food. There will be options along the way and on Night 2 is where I will be most remote, I could just cook over a fire?

These are the things I am pondering on a Monday morning..

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS

4 comments:

Rob Roberts said...

i've been thinking about this too. i have two plans. one is for light weight, warmer weather, and laziness. the other is less about weight, more weather related and comfort based.

warm food makes a cold day better.

Plan 1) no cooking. take jerky, dried fruit & nuts, canned tuna, etc.

Plan 2) cold rainy = canteen cup and sterno. sterno can be used serveral times and is self contained. just take an old tuna can and cut the bottom off then drill some holes around the sides and you have a cooking ring to put your canteen cup on.

spending much time in the feild in the service taught me to eat food cold. only when the urge hit me and i had a hot engine manifold around would i heat something.

Karlos said...

good feedback, thanks bro... If all goes well I will be rolling threw Clermont on Sunday around midday making my way towards the West Orange trail towards apopka. How deep does the west orange go into Clermont?

Rob Roberts said...

all the way to downtown clermont. the trail is in my back yard. no joke - my back yard.
it's 3 miles from my house to downtown clermont and 6 miles to the orange/lake county line. when you cross the county line it changes from West Orange to the Lake Minneola Scenic trail.

Karlos said...

Thats the info I needed so it switches from west orange to lake minneola so once I make Clermont I can hop on that sucker...
thanks!