Friday, August 07, 2009

CaLL YourSeLf BleSSeD~!!

That's the title of today's post.

I read on that 'not to be named social networking' site's status updates, and this guy and that guy are riding here and riding there almost every freaking day.

I got 90 some odd miles of mostly off road madness for CFiTT mapping on Sunday. Last time I rode my bike. 2 weeks ago.

Why?

Well, I work 50 to 60 hours a week full time. Then I go home and provide care for two boys full time. In between that time I got to split my time with the Warrior's Princess, friends and family.

So riding daily or even three times a week falls down to the way side.

Still I got to admit, I ride with some of these guys that ride daily and all the freaking time and I am not impressed by their speeds or skills. Most of the time I still out hammer then or drop them or leave them in the tech sections or kill them in the flats or out power them on climbs.
Which beg's the question, am I just a freak of nature or do they just forking suck. I would like to think its a little of both.

I learned something a couple of years ago. When it comes to progressing your skills, its actually bad for you to ride daily or too much during the week. It makes your muscles tired and gives them no time to recover. When I hit the bike, I got so much pent up bicycle power, that I just GO. MY muscles are relaxed, well stretched (due to my new yoga obsession) and rested. So I just GO. Never mind that I am probably, one of the best Technical riders in the state (yet to be proved and or verified), Still the proof is in the pudding.

How many of you have rode with the Indian, met up to ride with the INdian, only to get dropped or only see him waiting patiently at intersections. Hell, I grew up in my MTB skills riding only the rootiest most nastiest local trails I could muster. Im an off roadie slut and will ride anything, that is dirty and off road. So I quess, those skills overtime pile up into making me a sleeping giant. Some dont think I can hammer on the road, well that's another mistake, take me on the road and see and find out why I despise road riding, its just too freaking easy to go fast.

So SUNDAY, I will go out, and I will go Map and I will go have me a nice photographic cruise through the other half of the CFiTT and finish my responsibilities to the route I co-created.

Shred and the ability to go fast is in the rider. So those of you, that train so hard, only to beat me by a minute or two should be very ashamed. Those of you that train so hard, only to edge me out in a sprint by a bike length should hold your head so low. How could you have so many opportunities to train for a sport that your only marginally good at. So much money spent on coaches and heart rate monitors when your getting your ass handed to you by a guy on a single geared bike who cant coast. I think its time to take some inventory, throw away the heart rate monitor and ride for fun, cause competitive riding and training is not working for you.

Consider this a public service announcement.

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

PS: I will not be getting a twitter account. Why? Well I think I saturate the market enough with my 'not to be named social networking site' page and with this blog. Who the hell wants to hear what I think and do every minute. AND, I hate the name. I think twitter is something I do in the bed room with the Warriors Princess not something I do on the internet. Well, maybe on the internet in video format and then call it art.

Kiss it<> Just once!

5 comments:

FACTOReTRANSFORMZ said...

with all the training that I have been doing, what would be an acceptable time/distance for me to beat you by before I can keep my head up?

haha

anyway - without all the hard work I have out in, there is no way I would have dropped over 60 pounds since November. I look at it differently than (who can I beat?) I look at it more like how much faster am I than I was the week before. I will never be world class or a pro so there will always be somebody faster than me out on the trails/roads. I can't get caught up in how fast they are, I just worry about am I better today than I was yesterday. With that being said, you are 100% correct in rest. Your gains don't come from hard workouts. The gains come during the rest periods between hard workouts. If you train hard everyday you will not get nearly as much out of it that you would if you give your body a chance to recover from those workouts. That was a hard lesson for me to learn. I wanted to go longer, faster, harder every day and was frustrated why I was not getting anywhere. Now that I am riding less I am getting way better gains. I am going to enjoy today totally off and just do a few aerobic openers on Saturday so that I will be fresh for our ride Sunday. I can't wait to do the same as you and crush some of these over training fools.

Also - people that were beating me by hours and miles that are now barely beating me or riding with me now should hang their heads low - how did they let the old, slow fat guy catch up to them?

Sean Crichton said...

DUDE - you're freakin hilarious - i love it. Keep it up, you 'freak of nature' - i need the entertainment!!

EL SandPine said...

Pst...Pssst...Psssssssssssssst... WAKE UP!!!! Your are dreaming outloud. Wake up you "SLEEPING GIANT" ... LOL

Karlos said...

Jonathan-I admire ur transformation and think its fantastic the gains u had made. It truly is admirable to see a fellow former fat guy excel and achieve.
You have won two races, I have never won any, so,lol, keep up the hardwork, obviously your investments are not in vain.

How much would you have to beat me by.. well technically whether u win by an inch or u win by a mile, a win is a win.

Sean -- im pretty sure your a hard charged and excellent athlete, having never ridden with you, i appreciate that my post entertained you and that you continue to read the musings of this freak. LOL

Sp -- Your a heck of a rider and a good guy. Im glad you got a good laugh out the post. But, unfortunately, its true. There are too many riders that "train" there asses off for marginal to zero gains. Im trying to tell them to wake up, save their money and just ride for goodness sake. I am not the fastest and I dont care to be, I just want to accomplish my goals. Whatever they may be, it wont be in looking at charts and paying coaches.
And thats the point. Save your money cause unless your going to go all the way with it, meaning eating right training right and getting all of the elements to work, then why obsess over numbers or avg speed when at the end of the day, guys like me who barely ride go out and put a hurting on these guys...

they need to wake up and just ride. save your money..

thanks for reading, without you and all my readers I would just be talking to myself, which i do often anyways.

Mike, Ted, Sean, and others.... said...

They just suck... LOL

I'll drop them all like a bag of rocks any day. They know it...you know it...silly swampers!