Thursday, August 20, 2009

HuMp DaY!

Started early once again.

Got up just a little extra early to make sure I had enough food prepped before work to make it threw the day. It was going to be a LONG time before I would be home again and I knew it, so I made sure of it early that morning.

The drive in and the work day were pretty uneventful. Admittedly I had a lot of Sadness in my heart and I was missing The Warriors Princess immensely and I spent most of the day, Not depressed, but just kind of gloomy.

Regardless, the end of the day finally came I hopped in the vehicle and drove out to Clermont. I parked my truck, managed to sneak a convo in with the Infamous Roberts before I headed out for my "training" ride in the Hills of Clermont.



Yesterday's rides numbers were not spectacular, but I did accomplish my goals and there was a lot of climbing for the short little ride I did. AND, not to violate the strictness of my training program, It was FUN.

My goal was to get the 29 miles done in 2 hours or less. I finished in 1 hour and 56 min. I dont have a road bike, I have my cross bike, which is actually perfect for me to train on cause the gearing and the weight is almost identical to my mountain bike. I rode with a fully loaded backpack, no sense in me training without it since I plan to use it on the CFiTT.

I did my best to keep my legs busy, the first 3 or so miles till I warmed up were painful, but once I warmed up to the effort I spent alot of the ride reminiscing.

I learned this loop from my XC racing days. This was the loop Team Bikeworks Orlando would do twice a week. Back then I was in my "FAT GUY" years and I was always off the back. LOL, it was always the main team peloton would pass by and then a minute later I would pass by. Thats how it went the entire ride. Team Captain, Trevor Busby, would always loop back and block the wind for me so I could close the gap, only to get dropped once the road started going up hill. I remember I could not do those climbs out there if I didnt have my granny gear going.

Yesterday, I hammered all the climbs in the Big Ring, except for Sugarloaf. Did all the climbs standing and working to work on increasing my heart rate and running the length of that climb in a high state of excitedness.

The ride was so nice and I was enjoying it so much and I was really enjoying how much stronger I was riding in comparison to almost a year ago when I went out there and did the Pre Horrible Hundred with Treadlight. I thought I rode well then, but I still remember grabbing that middle ring on every climb and the granny on some climbs, not the case today, not the case at all.

As I got to the foot hill of Sugar Loaf I saw the storm that I had been eye balling from the 5 peaks of Buckhill road was finally upon me. I fired off my tail light, stashed my music/phone device and headphones in my Osprey pack, and got ready to begin the ascent up the longest climb in Central Florida. BUT, before I could even get rolling, the chill in the air got to my bones and I had to take off my pack and pull out my rain jacket.

I began the ascent and the storm exploded on top of me. Rain coming down in torrents, lightning, wind, thunder was a crackin. Sugarloaf Mountain road had become a stream as the water poured down the roads center creating an extra 2 inches of water for resistance.

But, I was diggin the storm and diggin the sense of adventure it created in my mind, and I stood up and hammered that climb all the way to the top in the biggest gear combo I have ever done it in.

Cleared the top descended and checked the clock. I had rolled out what I thought was at 615pm so my goal was to be back by 815pm and it was now 750. I had to finish sugarloaf mountain road and make it to Grassy lake road as quick as I could. I did the work and pedaled fast and started the steep but short ascent into Grassy lakes right at 8pm.

Now back in the old group training ride days, I would always hit this section about a minute behind my team. And since on the way back in this road was mostly downhill, I would always close the gap, pass the group and then make them chase me all the way home. Being a Fatter guy at the time, going downhill made me a formidable opponent and there was never a training ride that I didnt make it back to the lot before the rest of the team. Those last 5 miles I was a BEAST, LMAO.

I remembered that, and I said, hmmm, 5 miles in 15 minutes, I can do this~!

I put my head down and hammered, and as I watched the clock tick down, I popped out on the final turn at 15minutes and 30 seconds and made it back to the car right at the 16 minute mark. Missed my goal by one minute! BUT, when I checked the total time I had beat my overall goal by 4 minutes. So in the end, I was still the winner of my own imaginary time trial!

Eventually, I got to sit and chat with the Infamous Rob Roberts and we Talked CFiTT and about all the National Support and how nice everyone out there is. We talked strategy and planning and pretty much, Imma go out there and do my best to try and defeat Black Ops Rob since he is the only one I know for sure could beat me out of the known riders. SO, we will see. I think only one time I have finished a ride before Black Ops Rob and thats cause he was sleepy sleepy, so my chances are slim. But ya never know.

My coach says it can be done, and I believe in him as much as I believe in myself, since I am my own coach.

Got home at 10pm, ate a huge bowl of Organic Spinach salad with all natural pepperoni, pepper jack cheese, cheddar, some garlic, some himalayan salt and some ceasar dressing. Watched some MINDFREAK withe my sons and got in bed and asleep promptly by Midnight.

Just another Marathon day in the life of ME.

Please. Stop Hatin.

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: