Monday, August 24, 2009

WeLL if I CaNt BEaT CHa!

Dynamic.

That is something I strive for in the 10 years I have been riding. I have done my best to explore almost all the dynamics of cycling (with the exception of recumbents, I just cant do it).

GEared riding, 26ers, Psyclocross, bikepacking, single speeding, fixie riding, tandems, road riding, xc racing, 12 hour team racing, 12 hour solo racing, you name it, I have tried it.

So what does that mean. Well that means, that I have a decision to make.

First I want to apologize up front to all my faithful readers. I am clearly obsessed with this Time Trial in October. Its the only Other Race I plan on doing this year so its clearly my focus. This is bad for you cause I will talk about it constantly.

So obsessed I have become that I am now wearing a watch, because, in a time trial, time is important.

So this decision I have to make.

Is it more important for me to step up on my 18 speed Black Beauty and Trial it and see if I can best the time of Rob Roberts and the Dark Horses.

OR.....

Do I out class them.

Yes, I can out class all of my competition.

How you ask?

Simple, I can go out and do this thing Fixed. Thats right folks, I may not be the fastest or the strongest, but I can ride a fixed gear 29er. I could just go out there, do 85 miles a day, camp have fun, and not even worry about being the fastest, cause I doubt there would be another fixie rider stepping up to best my time on the route. Well at least not this time.

SO, do I, go out and ride my geared bike, or do the CFiTT Fixie and guarantee me a record???

Decisions, decisions.

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

13 comments:

FACTOReTRANSFORMZ said...

ride geared that way you can see how you measure up.

there will be no "I could have if I would have..."

It is a race against the clock - how fast can 1 person without help from any body else...without drafting..how fast can you propel your bike for how long?

there are only 2 classes:

those that participate

those who do not

equiptment choices can not be used as excuses.

If I choose to ride a cross bike...that is a choice that I have to live with..no "if I would have road my MTB I would have finished with a better time"

all these ramblings basically say...ride whichever bike you think you can ride the fastest over the 170 miles because bike choice is no excuse.

good luck

Karlos said...

I understand your point.

BUT.

If you study the history of self supported events of this type, Your bike choice actually determines your place in the record books.

THere are single speed records,
Fixie records and tandem records
male and female records, etc.

THis race does and will follow that tradition..

So although your point is valid, there are several classes in the event that are up for grabs.

Thanks.

Karlos said...

For the purpose of research, this is a race against the clock. An individual time trial. I established a common start date for fun, but anyone at this point could go out and do it anytime as long as they follow the rules.

AS well, for your research purposes.

REsearch, the tour divide, Colorado Trail race, Arizona Trail race, etc.

Classes exist cause although the event will already be difficult, it would be harder on an Single Speed and even harder on a fixie. Those efforts should be recognized if a rider attempts them.

FACTOReTRANSFORMZ said...

understood.

what are the classes?

how many participants need to enter to make up a class?

Karlos said...

Classes are:
Open Male
Open Female
Singlespeed Male
Singlespeed Female
Fixed geared male/female
Tandem

THats it. Since its an individual time trial, there is not qualification on the amount for each class.

For all the aforementioned racers thare has not been an official fixie finisher. THere are single speed records and male and female records.

FACTOReTRANSFORMZ said...

I am ready to get the 6 Gap over with and go into the CFITT mode

I have focused my training toward these 2 events and have dropped the 12 hour MTB training and Triathlon training.

I had to make a choice and focus. Nobody can do it all (at least not a rookie like me)

My big choice is mtb or cross bike

if there were a cross bike class, I would do that

Karlos said...

I recommend if you do ride a cross bike you at least have 45c tires on it if it takes it.

I have ridden 45 c tires out there and the penalty was not noticeable.

Your tri training will do you well if you got to push though.

its a gamble.

Karlos said...

Correction, 42c.

I have ridden at least 42 c all over most of the course.

That should be good unless the course is wet and then, it will be bad for all riders.

FACTOReTRANSFORMZ said...

mountain bike is the safer bet - the ?? is...does playing it safe win?

or does taking a chance and rolling the dice lose???

what is going to be the most comfortable ride in the saddle for practically 2 days of riding?

what is that crazy tread light gonna do?

there are certainties:

1. Rob R will be strong
2. my butt will be sore

Luis G. said...

Leave the excuse bike at home...

Karlos said...

Well that settles it then Mucaro, Fixed it is.

thanks,

Karlos

Jimbo said...

What are the records?

Karlos said...

Well, this is the first running of it. When its all said and done the winner in each category will be the "official record holder" for their particular class.

So, you know, there is a chance for some fame or infamy, LOL.

There are no prizes but you can have the prestige of being the fastest on the mapped route.